What is Executive Functioning Anyway?
We talk a lot about Executive Function (EF) skills and the importance of building EF in our kids. But, what does that really mean?
The following are every day examples of how we use Executive Functioning —
- How do you know how to get where you’re going?
- How do you get there on time?
- How do you deal with the road detour?
- The clock is ticking loudly in the room where you are reading, but you don’t hear it—why?
- You accidentally bump into someone and apologize—why?
The development of EF skills correlates with brain development. The research on EF indicates a high correlation of under-developed EF skills with students with learning differences. This makes it all that much more important to directly and explicitly teach these skills and practice those skills throughout the day in different settings.