The transition process at Sand Hill begins from the moment of admission and continues until your child is placed in a new school. The number of years your child spends at Sand Hill depends on their personal challenges, their responsiveness to our program and the availability of schools that are appropriate and meet your child’s needs.
When it’s time for transition, we provide a specific program to help. We believe transition is a joint school/family decision that requires both art and science. There are a number of critical factors:
- Development of fundamental skills and confidence
- Determination regarding the student’s transition readiness
- Family needs and desires
- Choice of private or public school
Sand Hill School transition support includes:
- Counseling with staff to determine transition readiness
- The Sand Hill School Transition Guidebook
- School placement support and information provided by the Transition Coordinator
- For 8th graders, Sand Hill’s Head of School leads an elective class with a focus on successful transition, high school readiness, learning strategies, coping strategies, mindfulness and well being
- School visits
- Preparing your child for the shadow experience
Check out the Sand Hill School Transition Guidebook for more information.